Saturday, January 12, 2013

"Empire Falls" I

One down, another to start.

Pivoting off of my post about West Virginia, I decided to next pick up Empire Falls by Richard Russo.  The book is set in a rural Maine mill town, whose glory days are long behind it, and whose primary benefactor is a few years past her expiration date.

I've only been to Maine once, to go visit Moosehead Lake with a friend and his family back in the summer of 2011.  I remember it being one of the most lushly verdant places I have ever seen.  Yet, sadly, didn't see a single goddamn moose.  Damn you, Maine place-names, and your raising of my expectations!


In terms of Maine itself, though, that's pretty much where my personal knowledge of this world begins and ends*.  The very same friend who invited me to go to the cabin a year and a half ago has been strongly urging me to read this book, and as long as my mind was on the rural poverty track, well, sure, why not?

*Unless you count having read The Cider House Rules, but I think I learned more about abortion than Maine from that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment